Robert2012's image
Posts 6
Joined 20 Nov '11
Email User

There are a few thousand people with a claim in year 2 who have claims with fields set as follows:

Speciality: Surgery
PlaceSvc: Ambulance
Length of stay: 1 day
Nearly all have a three or four letter procedure code beginning with 'S' - i.e. confirmation they had surgery.

How can it be that so many have DIH as zero? The only thing I can think of is that they died after the surgery but before they spent a full day in hospital.

_JeremyA's image
Posts 23
Thanks 6
Joined 5 Apr '11
Email User

Day/Night Surgery is ambulatory (ie outpatient), no length of stay.

A number of surgeries which were previously performed as inpatient are now (sometimes) performed in outpatient services depending on Acuity, Age and other factors.

Unfortunately in some cases whether or not the patients are held overnight will depend on the policies of the performing organization and how close to best practices they run their surgery dept and of course (since it's fee-for-service) it might depend on whether or not they can bill for the over-night stays.

Thanked by DanB and Dipanjan

S.U.T.'s image
Posts 44
Thanks 7
Joined 5 Sep '11
Email User

Interesting and relevant....

As a healthcare outsider, could you summarize what "ambulatory" care is? I had assumed it was simply an ambulance with a siren taking the patient to a facility, but clearly it means somethine else.

_JeremyA's image
Posts 23
Thanks 6
Joined 5 Apr '11
Email User

In a hospital setting Ambulatory Care is out-patient clinics and services (excluding Diagnostic Imaging, Radiology etc), sometimes including ER as a sub-set, but usually not as the Emergency Department costs and is run differently since clients appointments are un-scheduled.  The ambulatory clinics usually serve both inpatients and outpatients.

Aside from where ER's are included Ambulatory is almost never related to ambulances.

Thanked by S.U.T. and DanB

Robert2012's image
Posts 6
Joined 20 Nov '11
Email User

Thanks for the clarification.

Flag alert Flagging is a way of notifying administrators that this message contents inappropriate or abusive content. Are you sure this forum post qualifies?